Medicare 101: My Medicare Options
Understand your options when it comes to enrolling for coverage.
Now that you know more about the ABC+Ds of Medicare, it’s helpful to understand what your options are when it comes to enrolling for coverage.
After you enroll in Part A & Part B (remember, you’ll want to enroll in Medicare sometime between the 3 months before and the 3 months after you turn 65), you will need to decide how you’ll get your Medicare coverage.
There are 2 main options:
1. Original Medicare:
Original Medicare is health insurance offered by the federal government and includes Part A & Part B. It does not include Part D, so you will need to select a separate prescription drug plan if you want prescription drug coverage.
Original Medicare only covers 80% of your health care costs. This means that you’re responsible for the other 20%—and there’s no limit to the amount of money you could pay as your 20%.
2. Medicare Advantage plans
Medicare Advantage plans are “all-in-one” alternative to Original Medicare and are offered by private companies approved by the federal government, like MyTruAdvantage.
Medicare Advantage plans cover everything that Original Medicare covers, plus provide extra coverage and benefits and can include prescription coverage. And unlike Original Medicare, Medicare Advantage plans have a maximum out-of-pocket limit you’ll have to pay for your health care.
Learn more about Medicare and MyTruAdvantage—Indiana’s own community-focused Medicare Advantage plan. MyTruAdvantage is a Medicare Advantage plan founded by doctors and hospitals you know and trust, focused on the community and designed around you.
Have Questions? Give us a call!
(833) 213-6731 (TTY: 711)
We know Medicare can be confusing. This Medicare 101 series will explain the basics about Medicare so you can select the best options for you when it comes to your health care coverage.